A lot of online platforms share general information on cosmetic surgeries. In this regard, people may ask relevant questions and share their stories. Nose surgery including rhinoplasty and its side effects are among the common questions among these patients.
Is Rhinoplasty painful?
The level of pain intensity is one concern of patients contemplating surgery. In rhinoplasty, the main cause of discomfort and pain is the packing inside the nose. Most patients are pain–free within a week or two in closed rhinoplasty.
Pain thresholds and tolerance vary from one person to another. Most patients rate their pain between 0 to 4 out of 10, one day after surgery.
Oral medications such as Codeine and Acetaminophen can relieve your pain. It is recommended to consult with your doctor before using homeopathic treatment (e.g. Arnica montana) since they may interfere with the healing process.
Following surgery, pain and discomfort subside in 3 days. If you still feel pain after this period, it is recommended to consult with your doctor very soon.
Can rhinoplasty cause breathing difficulties?
A deviated septum often causes breathing problems. The septum is defined as the wall between two nostrils. Nasal septum can be crooked to both sides. As a result, it may impinge on the airflow for breathing. Septoplasty is the surgery for improving breathing. Septoplasty is often combined with rhinoplasty.
Nasal blockage post-operation may be reported in some cases. Breathing problems are the cause of 70% of revisions of operations, on the other hand, makes this surgery sensitive. Breathing problems may occur newly in about 10% of patients due to the reduction in the cross-sectional area of the nasal airways.
Besides, too much cartilage may be removed during the procedure. This may result in the sides of the nose to collapse during inhalation. Moreover, it gives a saddle shape to the nose.
Sometimes, the blockage can’t be assessed through related measurements and analysis. In these cases, loss of mucosal sensitivity should be considered. A well-functioning nose can feel the coldness and warmth of the air.
Does rhinoplasty alter the patient’s voice?
Most rhinoplasties don’t change your voice and nasal sound significantly. In normal conversations and recreational singings, your voice remains unchanged. However, if you are a professional singer, the tonality of your voice may change. Trained listeners may detect increased hyponasality. When there is not enough air in the nasal airways, hyponasality increases. This can be associated with narrowing the nasal cavity. Fortunately, these changes don’t interfere with the patient’s life and carrier. If you’re concerned about even slight changes, the surgeon can use more conservative surgery types.
Does rhinoplasty form scar tissue on the nose?
Scar tissues may be formed in open and closed rhinoplasty.
There are some instructions to prevent scar formation as follows:
• Stop smoking and stop using tobacco products.
• Stop using blood thinners.
• If you have experienced late healing scars in injuries so far, it is better to inform your surgeon prior to surgery.
• Paying attention to Infection risks is very important in this treatment. Since it interferes with the healing process and accordingly makes the incision site prone to the possibility of scar tissue. Based on your doctor’s instructions, you should clean the incision area.
• It is recommended to keep it clean from bacteria and debris.
The following signs may inform you of probable infections:
• The incision redness,
• Blood and fluid discharge from the wounds
• Unexpected fever
In these cases, it is suggested to contact your surgeon very soon.
Some recommendations for post-operation may include:
• Not to smoke for a few weeks after surgery. Oxygen is like wound healing fuel.
• Avoid sunlight. UV rays darken scar tissue. Use sunscreen diligently up to one year after surgery.
• Make your skin humid as dry skins don’t heal well.
• Avoid any probable trauma to your nose.
• Decrease the swelling by using ice packs.
What are rhinoplasty risks and complications?
With a quick on-line search, you can find a lot of forums and websites about cosmetic surgery mistakes. There is a critical mass of patients that aren’t satisfied with their results.
Rhinoplasty is one of the riskiest surgeries. The results can’t be predicted because there are different types of tissues that need to heal after surgery. The dynamic of the healing process isn’t predictable due to the fact that every individual reacts differently. These are complications that aren’t under the surgeon’s control. However, some complications are the surgeon’s mistakes in preoperative analysis, surgery planning, and postoperative care. The surgeon should consider everything thoroughly and choose the most adequate techniques.
The following recommendations may help you to catch the desired outcome:
• It is better to adjust your expectations. Everybody has a unique nasal structure and skin texture. You have your own nose. Even if the outcome of the nose surgery matches with the nose you interest, it will look different on your face.
• Choosing an experienced and board-certified surgeon is strongly suggested. Fortunately, Exon Health Paradise Company facilitates you to have access to the most professional and Iranian plastic surgeons or Iranian otolaryngologists based on your medical or cosmetic purpose. Exon helps you to have modern nose surgery in modern hospitals with the state-of-the-art techniques. You will have an enjoyable journey to Iran with trustable treatment and affordable costs.
• It is suggested, to be honest, to inform your surgeon in the case of your condition. If you smoke, drink or take supplements, do not hesitate to tell your surgeon. The oxygen level is low in heavy smokers in this regard, poor oxygen supply can cause tissue necrosis, blackening, and tissue death. It is noteworthy that some supplements may counteract with anesthetics during procedure and cause death.
2019 November 13