All you may need to know about Coronavirus (COVID-19 )
As you may have heard, coronavirus has spread among people worldwide during last several weeks. However, in some regions, the coronavirus is seen more than in other places. According to CDC, Alex M. Azar, the human services secretary, has declared a public health emergency on January 31th in the united states to assist the nation’s healthcare community in response to novel coronavirus. You may have to seek reliable information for the prevention of this disease. We bring to your attention the answers of several questions that you may think about.
What is coronavirus?
It is a kind of respiratory disease that is related to a group of viruses that are common between animals (like cats, dogs, camel, and bats) and humans. However, contamination from animals to people is rare, people can infect each other. Coronavirus is known with different names like MERS-COV or SARS-COV based on the symptoms and signs of the disease and SARS-CoV-2 is the current type. These days, there is an outbreak of coronavirus in different countries including US, European countries and Iran. This disease has been first detected in China and specifically Wuhan.
What are the symptoms of Coronavirus?
It is shown that the symptoms of coronavirus are different from mild to severe and 2 % cause death. These symptoms are:
Fever, lethargy, cough, and shortness of breath.
When do the symptoms start?
After contamination with Coronavirus, the symptoms may appear in 2 - 14 days.
What should I do if I feel I contaminated with coronavirus?
You should call your physician to confirm if you are contaminated or not. Your health provider will inform you about the need for separation from other people or exposure based on your symptoms. Your physician will also inform you of other care services you may need at home or probable hospitalization.
What should I do after symptoms of coronavirus?
- The most important point is considering that there is no need for all coronavirus patients to be hospitalized. Most of the coronavirus patients are stable and can stay at home with self-health care.
- As soon as you feel like sneezing and coughing you should wear a facemask to prevent contaminating other people. You should cover your sneeze and cough with a disposable tissue and throw it in covered trash plastic.
- You should separate yourself from other people and animals.
- You should restrict your daily activities like work, school and going to public area like restaurants, barberries, shops and etc.
- You should use your private glass, spoons, dishes, cups, towel and other personal tools to prevent contaminating others.
- You should monitor your signs and symptoms, if you have respiratory problems, you should contact your physician immediately.
What is the most important notice in coronavirus contamination?
1. Wash your hands with soap at least 20 seconds
2. Clean the surfaces that you and your family or friends touch more with hygiene products like keyboards, cellphone, telephone, handles, bathrooms, …
3. Do not shake hands with friends or kiss or embrace your relatives
4. Do not take part in public places unless for necessary cases
5. Try to stay at home while you do not need to go out for work or school, etc.
When can I return to work?
You should stay at home under health care until your physician confirms that you do not spread the virus to others and the risk of secondary contamination is limited.
Who should be tested for Coronavirus?
If you have signs and symptoms of coronavirus like cough, sneeze, fever and other respiratory problems during 14 days after contact with patients or if you have traveled to China or have been in close contact with someone with the symptoms of coronavirus then you should contact your physician or your health provider for coronavirus test.
Published by: Exon Medical Department
Author: Pegah Ebadi